Québec regulation regarding the receipt of English Instruction:
In order to qualify for English Instruction in Québec Public schools, students must meet certain criteria under the Charter of the French Language as set out by the Québec Government. Parents who wish to send their children to an English school must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche (MEESR).
Permanent Certificate of Eligibility
The Certificate of Eligibility is generally issued when one of the following conditions is fulfilled:
- One parent is a Canadian Citizen and that same parent received the majority of his/her elementary education in English in Canada.
- One parent is a Canadian Citizen and the child is or has received the majority of his/her elementary or secondary education in English in Canada
- One parent is a Canadian Citizen and a brother or sister of the child has received or is receiving the majority of his/her elementary or secondary education in English in Canada.
- The child’s sibling or parent holds a Certificate of Eligibility
- The child’s Grandparent, aunt or uncle attended elementary school in English in Canada and the child’s parent was in a French school in Québec between August 1977 and April 1982 or after.
Please note the following Supreme Court Ruling of March 31, 2005:
Education received a French Immersion program in another Canadian Province within and English establishment is now recognized as English instruction for the purpose of permanent Eligibility. Students in this situation would now be eligible for English Instruction in Québec.
Temporary Certificate of Eligibility
A temporary Certificate of Eligibility is generally issued to children when one of the following conditions is fulfilled:
- Child who holds a Certificate of Acceptance issued by Immigration Québec
- Dependent child of a foreign nation who holds a working or study permit issued by Immigration Canada
- Dependent child of a parent who is not a Canadian citizen and who is assigned in Québec temporarily as a representative or officer of a country other than Canada or an officer of an International organization.
- Dependent child of a member of the Canadian Armed forces who is temporarily assigned to Québec to work. Only Regular members of the forces are accepted.
International Students – Temporary Stay
Students who wish to register in English Québec schools must obtain a Certificate of Acceptance from Immigration Québec and a study permit from Immigration Canada. Please visit the following Websites for more information:
Please note that students not part of an exchange program must be charged tuition fees. These fees must be paid to the Western Québec School Board in CND funds. For more information about these fees and the process please contact the WQSB Admissions Department at 819.684.2336 local 1155.
Exemption from the Charter of the French Language
A child with a severe learning disability, as outlined in the government regulations under section 81, may receive an exemption to attend an English school in Québec. This exemption is transferrable to the child’s siblings but not to their descendants.
How to Obtain a Long Form Birth Certificate
As previously mentioned, the MEESR requires a copy of the original long form birth certificate bearing the parents’ name to register your child/children with the Western Québec School Board or any other English Instruction establishment.
For further information regarding admissions and eligibility or to book an appointment, please contact the Admission Department of the Western Québec School Board.
Tel: 819.684.2336 Ext. 1155 or toll free 1.800.363.9111
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:30-12:00 & 1:00 pm to 4:30
To obtain further information, parents may contact the following MEESR office:
Bureau d’admissibilité à l'enseignement en anglais
Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche (MEESR)
600, rue Fullum, 11e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2K 4L1
Telephone: 1-866-747-6626 (toll-free within Québec)
These links open in same window, use your browser's "back" button to return to this page
In the event of inclement weather all information will be tweeted and viewed here.Tweets by @WQSB_Inclement