- In Québec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2014 in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2014
- Under certain conditions, specified by the Québec Ministry of Education (M.E.L.S. www.mels.gouv.qc.ca), students may begin kindergarten or Cycle 1.1 early. These conditions are contained in the Education Act.
- Students identified as “handicapé” by the M.E.L.S. (young students presenting with serious developmental delays) may often be granted early admission as a Special Education derogation.
- All requests for Early Admission to School are handled through an application process call “derogation”.
The Derogation Process:
Information for Parents
- If you have not already done so, please ensure your child has Bill 101 approval and is eligible to attend Western Québec School Board (WQSB) Schools. Please contact Sabrina Crawford: firstname.lastname@example.org 819.684.2336 or 1.800.363.9111 local 1155
- An Information Evening will be held for parents at the Western Quebec School Board. Derogation Parent Information Evening (PDF): January 20th, 2014 - 7:00 pm. Video-conferencing will be available for parents outside of the Gatineau region. Please register with Wendy Routliffe at email@example.com, 819-684-1313 x1163 or 800-363-0111 x1163 - Parent Information Evening (pdf)
- When registering your child at the school in your catchment, please advise them that you are seeking early entry to kindergarten. (Families in the Aylmer sector should contact Sabrina Crawford directly). You will be asked to complete and sign the “Parent Letter of Request for Early Admission to School (Derogation)”.
Deadline for Derogation Requests: March 28, 2014
- The Western Québec School Board offers psychological assessments for derogations by
one of our board psychologists, Dr. Rebecca Nemiroff. The fee for this service is $400.00. Please contact Wendy Routliffe to book the assessment and arrange for payment.
If you choose to use another Psychologist, please ensure that the professional is a Child Psychologist, registered in Québec, who tests for Early Entry into Kindergarten. A list of area psychologists is available from L’Ordres des psychologues du Québec: 1.800.363.2644
- Certified copies of the psychological report, should be submitted to either the school in your catchment, or directly to the Western Québec School Board: Beth Burn, Director of Complementary Services. Deadline for receipt of psychological reports: April 30, 2014
- All applications and assessment requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions regarding derogation requests will be forwarded to parents during the week of May 26, 2014. Questions should be addressed to Beth Burn at firstname.lastname@example.org, 819.684.2336 or 1.800.363.9111 local 1107
- If you choose to withdraw from the derogation process after the information session or any time thereafter, please inform Wendy Routliffe.